Our History

Ulysses S. Grant was President of the United States, and Kansas had been a state for only 11 years when Reverend J. W. Sage organized a Baptist Church and Sunday School composed of people from the northeast part of Miami County, which included the tiny settlement of Louisburg, Kansas.

Over the years, the church has had a total of 46 pastors (including 6 interim ministers).

Prior to 1880, the church was a member of the Butler, Missouri Baptist Association. In 1880, the church became part of the Miami Baptist Association. Today, the First Baptist Church of Louisburg is a member of the Luther Rice Association of Kansas, the Kansas Baptist Convention, and the American Baptist Convention.

Church concerns are dealt with by the Moderator and four major boards—the Board of Deacons, the Board of Trustees, the Board of Christian Education and the Board of Deaconesses.

The early deacons were elected and formally ordained. This changed in 1953 when the church voted to elect deacons. Today’s deacons support and walk alongside the pastor in handling the spiritual needs of the congregation.

The church elected Trustees as early as 1884. Then, as now, the Trustees were responsible for the physical upkeep of the building, and leading the church toward sound financial investments aimed at improving the facility.

The Board of Deaconesses provide for the physical and spiritual needs of the congregation. From the simplest of tasks (making the morning coffee), to overseeing communion, funeral dinners, and praying along side the Deacons this group personifies the service aspect in the body of Christ.

The first reference to Christian Education was found in the minutes of 1902: however, as long as there has been a Baptist Church in Louisburg, there has been a Sunday School. The Board of Christian Education oversees selection of curriculum, directs the overall programs of Youth Groups, Sunday School and specialty programs such as Vacation Bible School and Christmas presentations. Missions and adult education also fall under the responsibilities of this Board.

The first church clerks and treasurers were elected and stayed in office until they retired. In 1892 till now, they are elected annually.

We also now have a Finance Committee which is composed of the Moderator, the chairperson of each of the four boards, the Financial Secretary and the Treasurer. This committee oversees payment of bills and the general financial health of the church.

A Young People’s Society was first organized in 1886, and by 1895 the name had changed to the Baptist Young People’s Union (BYPU). By 1931, the organization had become Baptist Youth Fellowship (BYF), and today is part of the American Baptist Youth (ABY) program.

Music has always been a big part of our heritage. The first recorded minutes of the church in April of 1882, begins with the statement that the meeting opened with singing and prayer.  Today, music remains a vital part of worship and outreach.  2005 marked the 12th year that the church presented an Easter drama entitled “The Day He Wore My Crown”. We’ve been blessed with talent and people willing to serve.

Our heritage and our history is rich; full of stories and anecdotes of a people who become more than a congregation, they become a family.